The Botanical Garden of the Montjuic Hill has many local Mediterranean species, but also so many natural plants and flowers from all over the world.
Its function is the preservation and documentation of the natural heritage of Catalonia.
The vegetation in the Garden is divided according to geographical origin and in some cases it artificially recreates the area from where the plants are coming from.
Montjuïc, thanks to its privileged location, offers a beautiful view of the city and the sea, a must-see to admire the beauty of Barcelona from above.
Montjuïc is also one of the biggest green spaces in the city where you can enjoy nature trek through the mountains.
Are you planning to visit other attraction in Barcelona? The Barcelona card gives you access to more than 25 attraction as well as free ticket for public transports in the city.
Miramar viewpoint is located above the harbor with a spectacular view that makes the climb really worth it. Once you arrive you will also see two interesting sculptures: Fertility, by Josep Clara and The Pomona, by Pau Gargallo.
Another lookout to the sea is the Alcade viewpoint from which you will have a different view of the port of Barcelona.
Enjoy the ceramic decorations all over the ground floor built by recycling pieces of glass bottles, a beautiful work of the artist Joan J. Tharrats. Also here you will find an interesting sculpture, Homage to Barcelona by Josep Maria Subirats. There is also a Fountain, designed by Carles Buigas, the creator of the famous Magic Fountain of Montjuïc.
Gardens Costa Llobera
Below the viewpoint of Miramar you will find the beautiful Gardens Costa Llobera considered the most important cactus gardens of Europe. The garden includes plants from Mexico, Kenya, Ethiopia and much more.
The gardens are named after one of the most important Catalan poets, Costa LLobera and include a monument to El Pi de Formentor, one of his famous poems.
Gardens Jacint Verdaguer
Down the road from the Castell de Montjuïc you will find a path that leads you to another beautiful garden dedicated to the Catalan writer Mossen Cinto Verdaguer.
Before leaving the gardens, you will be able see Plaça Dante, with some interesting sculptures for example the beautiful Beauty, created by the modern artist Llimona.
Getting to the Botanical Gardens
- October to March: Monday to Sunday, from 10 to 18 h
- April, May and September: Monday to Sunday, from 10 to 19 h
- June, July and August: Monday to Sunday, 10 to 20 h
- Closed: January 1st, May 1st, June 24th and December 25th
Free admission on special days
- Every Sunday from 15 h and the first Sunday of every month
- February 12nd, May 18th, September 24th
General admission: 3,50 €
How to get there
Metro: L1 and L3, stop Plaça d’Espanya Bus: 50, 55, Parc de Montjuïc bus.
Getting to the Viewpoints
- Barcelona Touristic Bus: Blue Route. You can take it at Plaça de Catalunya or Plaça de Espanya. Stop: Mirador i Jardins Costa LLOBERA.
- Montjuïc Funicular: from the metro stop Liceu (L2 and L3 Metro ).
- Aeri de Barcelona Montjuïc, that communicates with the Port of Barcelona. Stop: Mirador del Miramar ( Muntanya de Montjuïc).